Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Callen, where's my money?!"

The day of the wind storm I was somehow conned into tagging along with Jimmy while he finished up work in exchange for Taco Bell. Seeing as there was the chance to fill my stomach with unhealthy tacos I went along for the trip. All was fine and dandy until we heard a weather alert come on the radio saying we were under a tornado warning and a severe thunderstorm warning. Let me just say that I was a little freaked out.

It eventually started down pouring, but that turned into hail. The hail calmed down after a few minutes and we were fine until we got to Walmart when Jimmy realized that if he went into the store to check bread he wouldn't be allowed to leave due to the tornado warning. Instead, he had the bright idea to head to the next town to check those stores. I have never seen clouds so dark. The clouds were massive, black, and fast moving. The winds were pushing Jimmy's car all over the road, but we trekked on because we knew that we were nearly out of it's path. There were multiple cracks of lightning, leaves flying everywhere, and the small, eerie glare of red beneath the clouds. I clutched my phone and texted my mom to go ahead and tell my dad, whom was riding his motorcycle towards home (which would mean he would be heading straight towards the storm) to not fuck around and find cover.

Once we got to the next town I was able to breathe easier. There were dark storm clouds, but the only thing that was happening was strong wind and it ended up bringing me some entertainment. I'd jumped out of the car once in the parking lot to take a picture of the clouds in the direction of the previous town to send to my mom. I snapped a picture and turned around to see Jimmy's hat fly off his head and him in fast pursuit. I properly shouldn't have laughed, but I couldn't help myself. His wallet fell out of his pocket and I yelled to him that he'd dropped it, but either he couldn't hear me over the wind or he was too set on grabbing his favorite hat.

I watched his money fly out of his wallet and make it's way across the street. Jimmy had finally grabbed his hat and picked up his wallet. The look on his face was priceless. He'd just realized that the money in it was gone, so he held it open towards me and yelled, "CALLEN, WHERE'S MY MONEY?!" I simply pointed across the street to the bills spreading across various parking lots. He took off after them and I followed after grabbing the few papers that had gotten stuck that he'd overlooked. After a few minutes he returned to where I was with all but two bills. He ran off to look in another direction. I followed after him and happened to look down to see a 100 dollar bill wedged in a rock pile. My first thought was "finders keepers", but I'm nice sometimes. He didn't end up finding the last bill, but it was only a dollar.

He almost lost $253 dollars that day. We laughed our asses off afterwards and he bought me Taco Bell. All was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment